Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Years ago, in my library career, I served a short stint as a part-time audio-visual librarian. This was after I'd retired as Circulation Desk Chief--I quit to write full time, and then my old library director called me up to offer me a part-time job with partial benefits, and I put down my lonely glass of white zinfandel--this was a very long time ago--and accepted.

My favorite AV reference question ever came from an 12-year-old boy who'd recently emigrated from, I think, Russia. He said, "Do you know this song, Achy Breaky Heart?" And then he sang a little of it, and I sang a little bit of it, and I found him the relevant CD.

(My second favorite: the 12-year-old boy who asked whether we had any adult movies. "They're all adult," I said. "The kids' videos are in the children's room."

"No," he said, waggling his eyebrows like Groucho Marx. "I mean, ADULT movies.

So I spanked him and revoked his borrowing privileges.)

Anyhow: those experiences pale next to one of the best things I've seen on the internet in a long time.

First of all, if you don't read Antonia at Whoopee, you should. She is a great and hilarious writer.

But it's the her most recent post that has knocked my socks off. It's proof that you can satisfy nearly any curiosity on the internet--and in this case, it has nothing to do with the perfect search query/search engine, just musical talent and good brains.

No comments: